The foundation stone for the VILLAGE SCHOOL was laid on 10th March 1859 and the school was opened on 14th February 1860.

The cost of building the school was £356.15s.4d. Again Joseph Taylor contributed in 1892 by providing money for an extension.

At some time the bell was removed from the tower, probably due to the fact it was unsafe. Happily, the missing bell was tracked down and replaced in 1989 and now rings every morning and lunchtime during term to summon the children to class. At the moment there are approximately 70 children on the register.


Click here for link to school’s website



Next page


This file was created by D.Willmott Sept 2000, revised Dec 2003,

September 2013

E-Mail to the Author